Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Sharp Teeth


Anthony needs a job and the only one he can find in Los Angeles is as dogcatcher. Soon he falls in a love with a strange, but lovely woman hiding the fact that she’s a werewolf. And she’s not the only one. There are several packs of dogs running around in the shadows recruiting members and each one is intent on domination. Sharp Teeth is a dark tale about the violent power struggles between the biggest and meanest packs for control of L.A. 

As many of you already know, the most unique aspect of this book is that it was written in verse. I’ve always had difficulty reading verse so I admit to some trepidation, however my fears proved unfounded. I had no trouble reading the narrative at all. On the contrary it was easy if a bit unusual. Also, my analytical skills of verse are likewise non-existent so I have no real idea why he wrote it this way. If there was any special imagery, it was lost on me though I readily admit the fault lies with me rather than the book. 

Also unique are Barlow’s werewolves. It’s as if he took everything known about the creatures and through it out the window. In Sharp Teeth, werewolves are almost indistinguishable from real canines and even experts would have trouble spotting the differences. By and large, they are just large dogs, however, the similarities end there for they retain their memories and consciousness in their canine forms. So their mentality depends more on their human natures rather than supernatural ones. If there is any change to their psychology, it is when they are first transformed from a human into a werewolf becoming perhaps a bit more feral and wild. This story is less about supernatural creatures then human beings with a second animal nature. 

I would heartily recommend this book for any fan of urban fantasy as well as anyone looking for a distinctive read.

Rating: 8/10.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's good to see you liked it. I think I'll get around to it next month - I just read a werewolf novel and don't want to "overload".

Benjamin said...

Hope you like it REG. What was the book you just finished?

Anonymous said...

Martin Millar's Lonely Werewolf Girl. I enjoyed it, but it was a little less serious than I was hoping for (sounds like Sharp Teeth will fill that bill though), it was dark but not gritty.

I gave it 7/10, which is not a bad rating - I've been trying to me more consistent this year, and that has also made a lot of my grades lower, because I've stopped giving ".5"s

I've read another of Millar's works - The Good Fairies of New York - and I liked it even more than LWG, but it also wasn't too serious.

I think you'd like both.

Benjamin said...

Thanks REG, I'll be sure to check those out. :-)